Well, the first week of school is finished, and we've all survived!
First I have to say that I just love Caleb's teacher so far! I never really see her since we pick up the kids on the playground, but she's wonderfully proactive about things. For instance, they have daily assignment agendas. Each page has a place where teacher or parent may make a comment. I use this space to write down what he read for his reading time, but I can also leave comments or whatever else about his assignments, or any questions I may have. On Wednesday night he had homework that he was extremely reluctant to do, so I made a note in his agenda that this was an issue. On Thursday I had a reply that he was doing well during class time and that she had spoken to him about getting his homework done. His other teacher was very lax (though extremely nice) and would just let Caleb turn his assignments in late...this teacher is on the ball with things! I also have more say with his reading material since it's not a specific book that they have to concentrate on for an entire week. I like that he's being a bit more challenged instead of the very easy books his teacher would assign him last year. Caleb has also made a couple of friends; the one we hear about most often is named Ian.
I haven't really had interaction with Lorelei's teacher, but we have Kindergarten Information Night later on this month and I'm sure I'll get to know a bit more about her then. She hasn't mentioned any friends in particular, but she did point out a little girl the other morning (whose name she couldn't remember) and go say hi before the first bell. She's taken a huge interest in learning how to read and will sit with anyone willing to try and sound out words.
I applied for reduced lunches this year and we were approved, so the kids' won't be taking cold lunch anymore unless they really, really want to that day. They were both excited by this and like all the different choices they have. For $16/month I can feed them both hot lunch...no way I can beat that packing one.
We've had some behavior issues this week. Some of which I'm contributing to getting back on an earlier schedule. We're trying to work those kinks out and hopefully soon that will happen.
It has been a pretty decent start to the year. Let's hope more of that is too come!