09 October 2008

24+ Hours Without Electricity

I woke up late yesterday morning to get the kids' ready for school. By some miracle we still made it out the door at 8:15. I got home from dropping them off and decided to run straight to Target to get the things I needed once I had the upstairs bathroom cleaned out (new rugs, towels, etc). I was at Target for roughly an hour because I had such a hard time picking out exactly what I wanted and what I thought would match the bathroom. I got home and tried to open the garage door from my parking spot on the street...it didn't work. Not thinking anything of it, I just left the bags in the car for later and headed around the house to the front door.

I walked into the house and didn't immediately recognize anything strange. I should have because the computer and the entertainment center both have a hum, but I wasn't listening real sharp. I walked into the kitchen and noticed for the first time that something wasn't right...the stove clock was out. Upon looking into the living room, I finally realize that the computer is completely off and nothing is running in the entire house.

I called George. He took a shower and called the electric company. Yeah, he paid it...on the wrong account number. And so, since the electric company doesn't really care if you have two young children and a fridge full of rotting food...we went without electricity from 9AM Wednesday morning until almost 2PM today. Lovely.

We did manage to make it pretty well without. I picked up four oil lamps from our local Meijer to shed some light on the situation. Instead of cartoons after school we went to the park. Instead of cooking dinner, we went out. Instead of showers, the kids' took a bath together in the flicker of the oil lamps glow. Instead of staying up way to late to watch HGTV, mom went to bed at 9:30 after her Kindle battery died.

I will say that I'm certainly appreciating the light switches a little more today than I did on Tuesday. I really, really, really don't know how people did it before the flick of a switch could make everything so much easier!