15 February 2009

Losing the Day Job

Remember, I was saying earlier this week how every single day the kids show me just a little more that I'm losing my day job? That at-home gig I've been rocking since the year 2000 before even finding out I was pregnant with Caleb? Because the only thing I really have to put on a resume besides cosmetology school is a couple months at a bank as a teller.

Yeah.

So, quite awhile actually I knew that I needed to "do something". I either needed to settle it in my head that working as a cashier at Target for an extended period of time was okay with me, or I was going to have to suck it up and go back to school. Again. And actually get a job this time. And like it.

I've been looking and looking and looking at colleges. I've looked into getting a different degree in cosmetology. I've looked into getting a bachelors degree. I've looked at associates degrees. I've looked at different varieties of certifcations.

I've also looked at how my being back in school would affect the structure and routine of the household. Someone still has to take care of the kids when they aren't in school. Summer breaks, school vacations, before school, after school -- you know the drill. George still has to be able to go into work. I still have to retain some hold on my sanity and the duties that I hold as the primary caregiver.

George and I had to discuss the financial aspect of my furthering my education yet again. I'm still paying off a rather hefty loan from my education in cosmetology. In my defense, I've been highly diligent about paying it off and paying off extra so that it's paid off sooner. But $10,000 in loans don't just disappear overnight. And because of the financial status of the household, financial aid is probably not going to happen.

I've rejected plenty of things.
  • Estethics
  • Dental Assisting
  • Teachers Aide
  • Teacher
  • Personal Trainer
  • Photography
  • Web Design
I've rejected plenty of schools.

I've rejected plenty of schedules.

And finally around 1AM this morning, as I was uploading the video of Lorelei's performance last night to Facebook, I came across what will hopefully push me into the employed sector of the population starting fall of 2009. A certification as a nursing assistant. Otherwise known as a CNA.

It's a 7 credit hour course. If all goes as planned I would be finished by the beginning of August 2009. And hopefully employable by the beginning of September because certifcation is merely the pre-cursor to the test you have to take to actually be able to perform the duties of a CNA.

The college is no more than 15 minutes from our house. The schedule will work okay with George's work schedule if need be, but we are looking for a sitter for the three months I'd be in school so that his days aren't compressed 3 times a week. The cost is affordable for us; which it has to be since certifications are not eligible for financial aid to begin with. It's in my scope of things I'd like to do when I grow up. It can be a full time or part time job based on what I find and what fits best into our schedule come the fall. And there are plenty of opportunities for me to further my education and do more in the field should I choose.

So, I'm sending in the application on Tuesday and finally getting my license changed so that I can prove I actually do live within the qualified district. And I'm going to call and schedule the assessment testing and pray I don't need a math class. Hopefully, in a week or two, I can say I'm a bonafide student again.