This summer I decided that we need to keep working on the skills the kids learned this last year and also start working on new skills for next year.
So.....
The kids and I started our own version of summer school this morning at their request. {Yes, they requested to do some learning!} Caleb did the Day 1 page from his book and I worked on pages with Lorelei followed by having her do picture searches on her own while I helped Caleb finish up his page. They also spent some time writing in their little journals. They are allowed to write whatever they want so long as they are practicing their writing and spelling skills. I was very impressed with the list that Caleb decided to make today. After that I read the first chapter in the novel that I am reading aloud to them. I picked up The Cricket in Times Square yesterday at Borders and have a nice list started for our next book. Caleb also read a book to me and I decided that I will also keep track of all the books he reads over the summer and any that Lorelei might read. I think it's a good way to keep him on track and keep his vocabulary and spelling skills moving forward.
If you are wondering, yes, I am very interested in homeschooling the kids. But, I decided that I need to see how well I do over the summer at keeping them engaged in learning. For sure right now they are having fun with it, but I want to see what happens if it becomes a "chore" to them or for me. I'm quite satisfied at this point with at least doing what I can over the summer.
So far, so good though and I'm glad to have started this little project with them. I had no idea how much they loved to learn with mommy teaching.