24 October 2007

More Tantrums

For the 2nd time in two days, Caleb has had one of his major blow ups. Yesterday was using manners and today was losing at Hi-Ho Cherry-O. I've heard of sore losers, but my boy certainly took the cake tonight. I initially gave him a time-out. When he felt cooled down he was more than welcome to come back and play the game with us some more in the play room. So, he did come back, but immediately started trying to keep the game board away from Lorelei and in general causing a ruckus, so off to bed I sent him. This, of course, resulted in 15-20 minutes of him screaming and having to carry him up the stairs flailing at least twice, but I did eventually prevail. He got into his jammies and crawled up into his bunk. He did not go to sleep and came down a few times when he realized Lorelei was getting to play a few computer games before bed, but no more tantrums and he complied with my direction to get back in bed.

I'm really confused by the tantrums because you never know what will bring one on. Usually, he has them maybe once a month now, but twice in one week, and being piggy back like this is hard to handle and extremely rare now. I could tell he was agitated today, but I didn't expect another blow up on my hands. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a lot less confrontational around here cause mom could use a break.

On the up-side of things, the kids really enjoyed the game and are starting to finally play games so I'll definitely buy more for Christmas!