01 October 2008

Disappointed & A Bit Embarrassed

We went to what will be our final swim lesson until probably sometime after the new year when "spring" lessons start. It'll be too late by the time we get settled to get them into a class, or impossible if they are full.

I reminded the kids' to listen, but right from the moment we got there they were up and down the bleachers and generally just not well behaved. It came time for lessons to start. They walked over and sat by the edge of the pool nicely with their noodles. For awhile it seemed there was hope for this lesson; afterall it's the 3rd one and they kind of know what to expect. Once again the instructor was hilarious. A great guy to teach little kids to swim in my unexpert opinion.

They get into the water and things start to slide. One or the other isn't listening while the instructor speaks. They don't pay attention to demonstrations. At one point near the end of the lesson Lorelei was in the water going around in circles staring up at the sky while Caleb faced the edge of the pool and hopped up and down. Honestly, what is that going to accomplish?

So, then came the end of the lesson and their free time. This is a 10 minute window for the kids to play with balls and stuff in the water. Builds up their comfort and confidence. My two love it. Both get in trouble for going too deep to get balls. Caleb starts throwing rings into the pool (which they weren't given permission to use) and hits the instructor in the head. Really, I was embarrassed at this point.

I'm almost glad that I don't have to take them next week. I got the impression today that I sort of wasted the money to pay for the lessons. I'd really like them to know how to swim, or at least have some survival (floating) and saftey (how to act around water) skills, but after today, I think I'll put them in different classes. Maybe if they aren't together they'll pay a bit more attention.