17 October 2008

Fire Station Morning

This morning I went on a field trip with Lorelei's class to the fire station. I was miffed I'd forgotten my camera, but they didn't do anything fun. They didn't get to check out the fire engine or the ambulance; which in my opinion, is the best part for kids' that age. They learned about ways that fires are started and to promise never to play with lighters. They got to see one of the firefighters get dressed in full gear (including oxygen tank), see where the firefighters sleep and listen to what a call sounded like. Since the fire station is basically across the street from the school we walked there and I was cold....brrrrrr...I hate cooler weather!

The plus side to the whole deal was that I got to hang out in Lorelei's classroom afterwards. See what her teacher was like with the kids. I also got a chance to volunteer in person to help out; either as a classroom helper or on any of the field trips they may have over the rest of the year. They are also out of snacks, so as a surprise (in case the kid in charge of Monday snack forgets) I'm going to pick some stuff up this weekend and send it in with Lorelei to stock the snack cupboard.

When I went to pick up Caleb, Lorelei had to stop and give Mrs. P----- a hug. She told me that she was on her own with the afternoon class and had no help whatsoever. I can not even imagine trying to cross two streets with over 20 kindergarten age kids on my own!