10 October 2008

Friday Recap

1. In addition to the electricity going out and all the fun that entailed, Duke got out of the house and "ran away" this afternoon. Caleb was in absolute tears when I came back empty handed. Kids put their shoes on and we went after him. Thankfully a neighbor had caught him running through his yard after his dog started freaking out in their backyard.

2. A child was hit in the school parking lot this week at the kids' school. I don't know what happened, but it makes me nervous about eventually letting Caleb walk home alone after school. They've increased the number of staff out in the parking lot (principal, volunteers and teachers), but I don't know how much good it's going to do. The whole set up was just an accident waiting to happen if you want my opinion!

3. Both kids really like their new teachers. This makes me pretty happy. Caleb appears to have made a few friends. Lorelei has too. I do notice a lot of differences in how things are done here vs. M-----------. I'm not sure which ones are better/worse than the others. I do think I prefer Caleb's teacher from M----------- to the new one. She really had her stuff together and he was flourishing in her class. I actually like Lorelei's teacher here more. She's more bubbly and kindergarten-ish.

4. I haven't gotten much unpacking done, but the house is at least live able for now. I don't even know where everything is going to go, but next on my list is to organize the kitchen. I can't find anything at the moment and it's driving me crazy! In fact, I attempted to actually cook a meal tonight and could not find a can opener. That pretty much put us at the drive-thru for Burger King.