23 October 2008

Notes for a Thursday

-- It was picture day today! After scrambling to find the order form, realizing I only had one and getting an envelope ready for the other...I was wishing it wasn't picture day. I didn't dress the kids up even a little bit. I'm only ordering a class picture just like I did from M--------------- (which I'm still wondering if they'll send them to me or not??). I'm much more interested in getting some more candid shots, or even some real professional shots of them. I do want that memory for them though, so class pictures it was. George had to take the kids to school because by the time I had everything ready for the kids to leave, I was still in my pajamas. I was not dropping them off in pajamas!

-- We got a U-Haul's worth of junk out of the garage this afternoon. We probably have another U-Haul's worth still in the garage, but we're getting there. A ton of the leftovers are the mounds of garbage that have piled up in the last three weeks. Between George and I we haven't even managed to get the garbage out once since I moved down here. Talk about planning! The funny side of it all was that some woman drove by and asked us if we were having a garage sale? I was confused since other than the bikes we had out in front of the garage everything else was literally bags of garbage and empty cardboard boxes. I wonder what type of garage sales she frequents???

-- We realized that our furnace wasn't working today. I was suspicious a few days ago, but George not so much. He finally got what I was talking about when he got out of bed this morning and it was absolutely frigid in the house. Still in the high 60's, but with no hot air, that's like having AC on when it's 40 degrees outside! We're thankful for an energy efficient house. The heat from the past few sunny days has kept us in the 70's even without heat.

-- The new blinds for the house came via FedEx this afternoon. George is working on putting them up as I type this. We got them from JustBlinds. We got the honeycomb style and they are able to open from both the top and bottom of the window. Super nice in the summer when you want the late sun, but not the curious stares from the neighbors! I'm hoping Duke doesn't break any of them trying to look out and bark at everyone that goes by!

-- Our Affy Tapple order came in today from the school. The kids each called one of the Halloween sprinkled ones for dessert tonight. George and I get the plain ones. Go figure! They've been quiet for about the last ten minutes, so I'm assuming they taste pretty darn good.

-- This weekend we'll just be working more on the house. We're going to try and finish cleaning up the garage, install any blinds that don't get up tonight, and work on getting through the boxes we didn't send to storage because they were useful now.

--We're also going to take a break from all this work over the weekend and get some pumpkins to carve with Caleb and Lorelei. They've been begging for pumpkins for about three weeks now and I've held out so they weren't rotted mush by the time Halloween actually rolled around.