27 October 2008

Sickie Update

Lorelei ran a pretty hefty fever all day yesterday; which we tried to fight off with alternating doses of Motrin and Tylenol. Caleb got even more congested and uncomfortable between coughing and trying to blow his nose.

I'd already decided last night that fever or not, I'd keep Lorelei home from school today. After the long night both kids had waking up and being extremely uncomfortable, I decided against waking either up for school and they slept soundly until about 8:30. Lorelei was still warm when she got up and so we gave her another dose of Motrin. Caleb was really stuffed up so we gave him some Tylenol Cold.

At 9:30 Lorelei casually mentioned that she just wasn't feeling well. So, I asked her what wasn't feeling well. She told me it was her throat hurting whenever she swallowed. So, I have her stick our her tongue and do the whole "ahhhhhhhhh" thing. It definitely looked swollen, but I couldn't tell without more light. Had Caleb grab me the flashlight and looked again...ewwww! Extremely red and swollen with some puffy spots.

George was still getting ready to leave for work at this point, so he called our pediatrician here and we got two appointments.

They ran a strep culture on Lorelei which came back negative. The doctor wasn't convinced that would be the end of the story though given the size, inflammation and fever, so he ordered up an Amoxicillion cocktail for her. He put Caleb on some Zithromax to try and get rid of the congestion and because he heard a slight wheezing in his left lung.

We just stopped home to have a light lunch and then we're going to head over to CVS and fill their prescriptions. Lorelei has to stay home from school tomorrow as a precaution and Caleb can return when he feels up to it and has gotten a good nights rest.