03 November 2008

Honor Roll

I went to Caleb's conference this evening. His teacher had very positive things to say about him while I was there.

He's made the honor roll and there will probably be a little awards ceremony sometime this week. He's an A/B student! She did say that he can be a bit talkative in class, but when she calls him on it, he immediately stops the behaviour. We're going to work on that here at home. She also said he needs to do more independent reading at home; which I completely agree with because he's very reluctant to pick up books just for the sake of reading. We're hoping the Book-It program will be a good motivator for him to do this. He did not get a grade for science this quarter because he wasn't in class long enough to really take the final test. She said she didn't feel it was fair to grade him on it when he didn't have the same background coming into the test as the other kids. I definitely appreciate that. She was impressed with how we were studying his spelling words at home and said to keep up the good work in that area. His math grade is just as impressive as last year, and I still stand by what I said last year...he's better at math in 2nd grade than I am as a full grown adult!

All in all, I'm very pleased! It was nice to finally have a chance to really meet his teacher and I'm pleased to say she's much nicer than my first impression thought.