23 February 2009

A Moment of Mom Geekiness

So, the doorbell rang a few minutes ago.

On my doorstep was a young boy that I recognize from the kids' school.

And he asked if Caleb was home.

I'm so geeked out about a kid showing up here to play with him at our house. I've always wanted to be the house where the kids want to hang out. The place where like the football team comes over for a snack after practice. {And yes, I realize the ginormous cost I would incur if that did in fact happen.}

And I'm also geeked about Caleb having a friend over. For the first time. Ever. My best friend and I met when I was 4 and we lived only a few houses apart for all the time we were growing up. And I have such good memories of all the times we spent at each others houses. And I want that for my kids.

We've moved so much that the opportunity to develop some friendships hasn't worked out. But, hey, a kid is here. In my living room. Playing xBox 360 with Caleb. And I -- Well, I love it!