19 September 2008

KA-POW!

Every morning I walk the kids to school. It's a short 10 minute walk and then they usually have about 10 minutes to play on the playground before the bell rings. There are a ton of other kids who are there at this time so it works out well.

This morning we did the same as usual and when we got onto the top playground I told Lorelei that there were lots of swings open and she ran to grab one. Not more than a few minutes into her swing time a little boy saw that the swing next to her was open. He ran like a shot to get to it. I was standing behind and a little to the right side of Lorelei and instead of running behind me, he ran between me and her swing.

KA-POW! Lorelei and her swing caught him square in the side of his jaw! It didn't knock him over, but his dad and I were immediately right there. There wasn't any blood, but it obviously hurt pretty bad. He got up on the swing anyway for a few minutes and when his dad stopped him to check again he said his tooth hurt. We both peered in and it looked like one of his baby teeth on the left side of his mouth might have been jarred loose. I immediately suggested the nurse so that someone with clean hands and a glove could take a feel in there to see if anything other than an icepack was needed. So, dad and son walked off to find the nurse.

Lorelei felt so awful about hitting him and was really worried about him having to go to the nurse. It was just an accident and there wasn't anything even I could have done to stop it because it happened as fast as lightening. Hopefully I see them tomorrow (and recognize them) so that I can find out how he's doing. I didn't even think to get his name or give them mine.